Well, the team at BDS Suspension is back at it partnering with Ford to build a crave-worth project truck chocked full of cool features and capability to match its good looks. For this year, a plan was hashed to spotlight the all new 2021 Ford F150 Hybrid and showcase the truck's capability as a dual purpose work + play truck able to get the job done during the week and have fun on the weekend. The truck selected came well equipped right off Ford's assembly line as a Limited, Ford's top-of-the-line trim package featuring LED projector headlights, 12" Sync4 infotainment system, premium leather with heat/air-con/massage built in, trailer assist, B&O premium stereo system, moon roof and our favorite feature - Pro Power On Board (PPOB). Now this PPOB is super cool and something not matched by any other truck on the market right now. SO much more than just a power inverter - this PPOB system packs up to 7.2kW of power to tap into 220V and 110V right out of the bed to power tools, gear/accessories, whatever that might be.
For our particular work/play - themed build, that meant building this truck into a mobile metal fabrication rig able to access remote locations to cut, weld, and manipulate metal right out of the bed thanks to the PPOB with tons of storage and gear to get the job done. On the play side this truck needs to be ready to get off the grid, camping, exploring, and having fun with man (+ dog) and machine enjoying the 700+ mile range that this Hybrid F150 offers.
With no SEMA Show to debut it, the teams at BDS and Ford had to get creative planning in a virtual event to showcase the trucks 6-week to overhaul. With the truck on site and a plan together, the team at BDS got to work sourcing the right parts to get the job done. At this point in the build the team has taken on the bed accessories to include lighting, tools, and storage. This included:
BUILD LIST (PART 1):
- Putco Illuminix LED Ford Grille Emblem (link)
- Adds a custom touch to the front of this truck and ties into the factory LED lighting package
- Trigger 4Plus Switch Relay System (link)
- Easy to install auxiliary switch relay system mounts under the hood and connects via bluetooth remote or mobile app
- Decked Storage System (link)
- Light weight, heavy duty dry storage solution in bed supports up to 2000lbs and features 2 slide-out drawers + Core Trax tie downs
- Yakima Overhaul Rack Aystem w/ Accessory Mounts (link)
- High quality, modular bed rack and accessories to mount work and recreational gear. Great fit and offers both function and form
- Rigid LED Lights (link)
- Building on the factory lighting we added D-SS series ditch lights, bed rack lights and A-series underbody lights for better visibility
- Rotopax Storage Containers (link)
- Rather than fuel/water storage, we opted for storage packs to hold tools and gear for easy access
- Yakima Slim Shady Awning (link)
- Adds an extra 42sq ft of protection from the sun and elements and rolls up nice and tight when you’re on the trail
- Ford Performance (Warn) Recovery Kit (link)
- Extra security and peace of mind to off the grid with Ford Performance branded tow strap, tow hooks, and gloves
- Ford Performance First Aid Kit (link)
- Be ready for anything when working around power tools and outdoor sports because you never when a good day turns bad
- ARB Twin Air Compressor (link)
- Reliable air on demand to air up tires, run power tools or whatever else needs an air supply. Mounted in the bed for easy access.
- Milwaukee MX Fuel Battery Power Tools & Chargers (link)
- We've been using Milwaukee tools out in the shop for years and this truck gave us an opportunity to highlight some of our favorite tools to include the deep cut band saw, 5” grinder, magnetic drill press, hammer drill, impact gun, hand tools, not to mention their safety gear.
- Miller Multimatic 255 Welder (link)
- This small, yet powerful welder plugs into the 220V plug on the Pro Power On Board to allow us to MIG, TIG, or stick weld depending on the situation.
- Hypertherm Powermax30 Air Plasma Cutter (link)
- Another small, yet powerful solution this plasma cutter packs a punch. It can be used on 110V or 220V and allows us to cut
- Miller 30FX welding table (link)
- This folding table allows easy setup for our welding gear
- Ford hand tools and air tools + tool box (link)
- Top quality tools designed to get the job done.